Monday, July 30, 2012

Innovation, Strategy, Plan, Success...in this Recession!


My friend who has been unemployed for almost 2 years went and set up shop outside of a company she really wants to work for.  She went about 3 days straight around “quitting time” to observe the faces and body languages of the people coming out of the building.  Then she went back again with cash and a copy of her resume.   

She approached someone she felt looked relatively happy, older and gave her eye contact...told them her story and made a proposal.  She gave them $50 cash to take the resume and promised $50 a week if the person helped get her in.  The person agreed, pretended she was a relative, got her an interview, but followed up with the hiring manager almost daily.   

The fake relative sent emails, went by the hiring manager's office, introduced, made nice...and kept following up.  This went on for maybe 2 + weeks.  My friend's bill was $150 after the initial $50.  (Mind you...we both have "friends" who work at this company who never seem to know anyone or want to go above and beyond by doing research. )  Now my friend works at this company.  The fake relative gave her $100 back, got money from the company for the employee referral, and told my friend she would give her the rest of the money back IF she makes it past her 90 day probation period and doesn't tarnish the referral.   

My friend is grateful, happy and no longer depressed.  How many of you want to try that now?  I have sooooooo many friends out of work or Freelancing random short-term gigs for pennies that I felt like I had to share.  Praying  for anyone suffering at the hands of this Recession…For real.

Claudia Mocha Jean

10 comments:

  1. Good for your friend. The moral of the story to some people is you can't expect the job you want to come to you. Go get it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless her, I too have friends and fam that were unemployed for 2+ yrs, I couldn't imagine. I've been unemployed since Feb. by choice and I start my new gig this Wed. in addition to pursing my acting career. It's hard out here to say the least. I think what she did was great a very "think outside of the box" approach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was awesome and very inspiring. makes me look at some of my socalled friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is cherrysecret22 on twitter I just followed you that is a dope story! I respect your friend's hustle! I am an aspiring Songwriter and I would love if you could send some opportunities my way!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story I'm so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing story! Funny that you both have "friends" who work their as well.

    Hi-5 to your friend for due diligence and persistence

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always try to help people when they are looking for gigs, no incentive needed but maybe I should try this out for the gig I would like to get

    ReplyDelete