Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The EX Factor


No matter how I think we grow, you always seem to let me know…it ain’t working-Lauryn Hill

Your former lover, a person you dated, a past boyfriend, a previous girlfriend: The EX. I think some Exes make it easy for you to HATE them and although HATE is such a strong word and wasted energy…it’s often the first emotion felt when you discover that your hearts and desires no longer match. And it’s the despair you feel when it seems as if you’ve exhausted all efforts while the other person hasn’t contributed to trying to make things work.

And what about that word: TRYING? I was once told that “trying doesn’t feel natural.” This can be true on so many different levels. (Trying) can feel forced or annoying; but not usually for the person who is T-R-Y-I-N-G to make things work. That person usually feels born-again and wants to do whatever it takes to get him or her back. They’re given this new found energy and appreciation for what once was; while finding sensibility in things unnoticed and untouched during the previous relationship.

Well…why weren’t these things discovered when you were together? Why does it sometimes take an ending for there to be a beginning? Well my friends, I think the answer is as simple as the cliché often heard in songs, movies, from friends and even from your mother…”you don’t know what you’ve got ‘till it’s gone.”

So what makes you want to try AGAIN? Maybe because of a misunderstanding? Perhaps one of you f*cked up? Or maybe it’s because you don’t want to face the cold world of dating all over AGAIN?! Starting over requires you to pay attention & take notes. You have to be open to discovering and embracing a new person’s likes, dislikes, friends, family, quirks, insecurities, hopes, dreams, style & smell…yup...their smell. Thhhhhhhhhhhhen you have to decide if it’s worth pursuing or if you’d like the pursuit of you to continue.

Once that decision is made, then what? Then comes that thing grown-ups do which can be a bit tricky or detrimental if you’re not careful. S.E.X! Sex can be a major factor in a relationship, right? It can make you stronger or tear you apart. I’ve never been the one to put sex over emotions nor has sex brought me closer to a person emotionally. But I will admit to sex being better because of the emotional connection and I believe that deep down inside that is what a lot of us strive for.

But I digress…we are talking about the EX factor…the person you were t-r-y-i-n-g again with, sexing, and the one who may have given you new inspiration, hope, and a thirst you never thought you’d attain. But the catch is…he or she is the EX! And they are the EX for a reason! And if he or she doesn’t feel the same way you do, they will remain the EX, and so will you.

For most of my dating life I’ve been notorious for going back to Exes. I’ll admit there was a comforting feeling there. Why? Because we naturally gravitate to what we know. We find safety in the familiar. And even if it’s an unhealthy situation that has all the signs pointing to NO WHERE…we still pull towards that direction and become deaf to that gut feeling in our stomach that told us NOT to go that way in the first place. Ugh!

I had a situation that never had a good stretch. We just never had enough time to truly get to know each other and grow. For a while we kept trying here and there, (if and when we both had time and were both sort of available.) But the unavailability issue was mostly him and not me. And since I was the one who always remained “cool” and made sure we kept in touch…I indirectly gave him permission to never have to put in any work. NEVER. Then I got used to my position or position(s). I was the friend…the communicator…the excuse acceptor…the down for anything chick…the supporter…the selfless cheerleader…the one always excited when he would come around or called, even if it was late night…the one who came AFTER, family, work, friends, and other chicks who for some strange reason made the girlfriend club while I remained patient and understanding that “timing” was always our issue. Hmmmm…But in actuality I had no real position and didn’t know I was setting myself up to be hurt.

Why do we ignore the signs? Why did I ignore what he’s been telling me without verbally having to tell me? Let me tell you…some people are more upfront with their actions and don’t need words.

Can I get a witness?

And you would think one would get the hint if every time you call…you get voicemail or a response via text. Or when you think you are being supportive by giving them space, they’re opening that space up to others who may comfort them in a way you aren’t privileged to know about. And little sincere gestures you make in an effort to show you care are met with resistance and doubt, (as if you lied and made up your feelings and your parents really named you AGENDA, first name HIDDEN.) How about when you find yourself n-e-v-e-r being asked if there’s anything you need…especially when this time you’re the one in need? It hurts when he or she doesn’t check in on you during your off-season(s), right? ‘Cause when you two are not dating each other…to them you do NOT exist! ---> NOT EVEN ON YOUR BIRTHDAY :(

And if you’re really unsure about whether or not their actions are speaking LOUDLY enough…try being “friends” with them on a social media networking website like Facebook, Twitter or MySpace! You’ll truly know how they feel about you when you see them playing with their internet friends and updating their statuses with subliminal messages while your phone DOES NOT ring or messages you wrote are ignored.

Giving yourself when the person isn’t listening to you, investing in you, feeling you or is just plain NOT into you can be a wake-up call you didn’t expect, but needed…Trust me. Why? Because IN YOUR MIND, he or she is supposed to notice that you are different from all the rest. They’re supposed to notice that you are “special.” They’re supposed to love being around you the way others do. They’re supposed to pay close attention to detail and enjoy your quirky ways…the way the person you are NOT pursuing does. You know that person, right? It’s the HE or SHE who says all the right things and does everything you want the EX to do. Damn shame. Then you find yourself being the same cold person to that someone else that your ex is being to you. That is what just happened to me and I hurt that someone as a result of all this. I kept paying storage fees on a heart that was empty…meanwhile someone else had room for me with no charge.

Soooooooooo…in comes that word HATE I spoke about earlier. It’s such a horrible word that leads to a world of misery and resentment. I ask myself if I HATE him and eeeeeeeeevery day my answer changes. Or maybe in actuality I HATE myself for caring for him all willy nilly. And my heart feels heavy because anything that reminds me of him (lately) turns my smile into a frown…even though he didn’t beat me up, spit on me, call me names, or force me to do anything. But sometimes neglect and selfishness can leave you with so much distress that you mistake hurt for HATE…and that’s where I’m at now people!

But guess what? Most Exes are doing what they’re supposed to be doing…Loving him or her-self and putting themselves FIRST. Isn’t that what we all are supposed to be doing? If we did, we wouldn’t be worried about the EX and we’d make room for the next…get it? I know some things are easier said than done…and situations that end amicably don’t always remain amicable. However, I don’t think anyone sets out to be bitter, hurt or vexed. Nor do I think the EX is always deliberate and calculated with his or her actions…or lack thereof. But they sure don’t make it easy by giving mixed signals or living in the “grey area.” And clarity & closure were not their major or minor in the University of Life. So f*ck it! You want c-l-o-s-u-r-e? Close the sh*t yourself.

Make the last straw THE ABSOLUTE last straw. Walk forward, not backwards. Lopsided relationships are not sexy or fashionable. Besides…your friends are tired of hearing about it, he or she is NOT trying to have “the talk” again and the stress shows in your face and hardens the heart. Believe me…I KNOW!

Lessons are blessings that come in so many forms and I thank GOD it took someone I love, NOT to love me back in order for me to realize that my love should be earned and not taken for granted…even if he has NO CLUE. And if he doesn’t see it and neeeeeeeever gets it…well then! That’s yet another reason he’ll remain the EX-Factor.

1 year older and 1 day wiser…Happy Birthday to me!

For Supa, Porscha, Jeff, Yaz & Raedawn…xoxoxoxoxo

Claudia “Mocha” Jean

“See I know what we’ve got to do…You let go, and I’ll let go too…‘Cause no one’s hurt me more than you…and no one ever will…”

http://www.rhapsody.com/lauryn-hill/the-miseducation-of-lauryn-hill/ex-factor/lyrics.html

40 comments:

  1. Wowwwww couldn't have been said any better!!! LOVE IT!!


    @coupe_22

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read! I'm glad to see another perspective because I on the other hand have always been villanized for being "hard" and not giving second chances and not looking back. I've always struggled with the what if's or maybe I should have given so and so a second chance... now I see not so much!


    You ROCK mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My last rel, 2 yrs ago I learned this! I'm there with you mama! Trust mi! Lonz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lynn! This touched my soul and gave me a headache at the same time. I'm dealing with my ex now and it's on his terms. I'm misreable and he obviously doesn't care. he calls whenever and we see eachother when he wants to which is usually after he spends time with everyone else. I used to wonder why he loved being around others but not me? But then he acts like he doesn't want me to see anyone else. We do this to ourselves Miss Jean. I'm hurting myself. I got to let him go. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do this to ourselves is right! So many women feel the way you do in this blog. You were so honest and I thank you for sharing your struggles. Good luck and I hope this gave you closure and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this spoke to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is powerful mamma. I like how you let him know but also took responsibilty. This is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I deleted my ex from my facebook. I couldn't stand seeing him chit chatting it up with other women and making slick comments. I took it very personally. At first I didnt want to add him but didnt want to seem petty. I didnt want to seem weak but after a while I couldnt do it. I applaud you for your honesty. If only we all were this honest in relationships.

    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really honest. This was so good @hellomissjean and I'm glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bitch you did you thing on this one! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes you can have a witness! Sometimes actions are the only message. And we fall for the shit all the time.

    I feel like you showed me myself. I need to fall back. Thank you mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes we have to learn these hard lessons over and over but hopefully each time the duration is shorter. This is so timely for me as I had a hard and fast lesson last night.

    I am only looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post.. U said it best !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! "You want c-l-o-s-u-r-e? Close the sh*t yourself."

    Preach girl! Preach! And I hope you find happiness after this new found strength and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post, been on both sides of that situation in my life & the experiences were eye openers for me. Keep doing your thing Miss Jean.

    Slicksno

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw the link to this on my friend's facebook page. This is so good. I think both men and women can relate because we all get caught up sometimes. but it takes a big person to admit it and face it. I hope you overcome it. I hope I do too.

    Thank you for sharing this Miss jean

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Great post! Like I said beautifully written and couldn't been said better. I wish more people could understand the importance of moving forward and not staying in the past for comfort. Again great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're making it hard for me to pick my favorite one of your posts! This was so good and I felt it deep. Especially when you broke down the thoughts in our minds. We do want him to see us as special and different from the rest. This was Very good. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  19. You just brought back some memories. Reading this was like looking in a mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ratings my girl. this whole post spoke to me in more ways than one. Sigh! I jsut exhaled I read this holding my breath felt like you were in my head. Bless Up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woooow. Nailed it. Been there - I am infamous for hanging on / in there hoping something/anything is going to change. Learned the hard way that when you prop that old door open the new one can't.

    Thanks for sharing and expressing what I've always wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post came right on time. I'm on month 6 of closing the sh*t myself and as hard as it is/ has been..you just gave me even more motivation to keep it shut. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. As a man it's hard for me to hear and read stories about my beautiful sister's and their relationship struggles. Just know that there are good men out here who will not hurt you indirectly or deliberatley. Leave that ex alone and make room for the next baby.

    ReplyDelete
  24. From: "That Ex"
    I must say that your post was sincere, deep and real! I am not surprised that so many women posted a response stating that they could relate to your experience and emotions. As a man I can relate to it as well but from the guilty one-"That Ex"-the one you speak of. Yes, I admit that I've been that person on more than 1 occasion minus the Facebook antics!

    Now how do you deal with "That Ex" (or potential)? It's simple but not easy. In all my years the one woman who got my full attention was the one who was able to walk away and basically tell me to go "f$ck myself". Her strength rocked my world.(Not to get too psychological her strength probably resembled my mother's strength when she walked away from my father's bullsh$t).

    Step 1: You have to have the strength to walk away, separate yourself, and not be totally available. Now you've turned the tables and we are now dealing with the rejection and thus the challenge. We all know the behavior-the more I can't have something the more I want it! Do not judge yourself for still loving the person while you are trying to step away. Our actions do not always coincide with our feelings. Do not try to be a "big girl" and handle the friendship role if you can't. Not everyone can handle it and no one said that you are supposed to. You will do more damage trying to do something that you cannot. Don't allow yourself to become pathetic in your desire to make it work. With all of our shortcomings, real men don't want to see that in a woman. Boys might get their ego stroked by this behavior but men usually are not inspired by it. Make me regret losing you-project the appearance that you are keeping it together emotionally and physically.

    Step 2: Set boundaries and stick to them. This garners our respect and elevates the challenge. You and I go out (when you are available,can't be always) but I don't get to go in (your house or you)! Hey I'm your Ex so I no longer get the benefits of being the "One", any benefits I receive have to be on your terms. Lack of boundaries leads to lack of respect. The old cliché, "it is better to be respected than it is to be liked"….spin it…"you can't be truly loved if you are not respected".

    Step 3: Before you give up something, it must be earned. If you feed a dog all day long but haven't set the expectations(training) that the dog earns his keep by protecting you what do you think the dog will do all day long…where do you think the dog will be when you need him to protect you…laying on his a$$ waiting for YOU to feed him…again and again...knowing that you will and he doesn't even need to bark! Especially keep this in mind during the "Ex" phase.

    Men (not boys) still want a challenge even at the end of a relationship thus you have to make us work for what you have to offer…but the catch is you have to have something to offer. It has to be something more than sex. Sex is like money it's relatively a short term motivator no matter how good or how much we get. Yeah we might be whipped for awhile but then we look for other attributes, qualities or benefits in someone else. So it has to be something meaningful to him (or her if the situation is reversed).

    A female (platonic) friend recently told me that the women in my life were making it too easy for me to remain detached…she was right. There is one other point…no one is offering anything that I do not already have…as I mentioned sex is not the big motivator…all of them are offering it. So while women are frustrated with not getting what they want…they need to KNOW what it is that their man REALLY wants (assuming he knows) and needs (this is valuable).

    Unfortunately, loving us with all of your heart sometimes isn't enough. Sad but true. If we evolve, we usually recognize your love in the rearview mirror. I wish I knew how to resolve the latency.

    I could share more but I've hogged the blog already. Anyway I have a therapy session to talk about my issues with women…supposedly it has something to do with my relationship with my mother!:-)

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dang! To the blogger at November 12, 2009 1:13 AM

    I don't know what to say, so I'll say "Thank You!", and print that as a keepsake.

    I will also add that all my ex's want me back, partially because I won't give them the time of day anymore, so you're right about that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Mr. Anonymous aka "That Ex." You wrote an entire blog within my blog and I appreciate what you've shared. I love when men talk to me and not at me. I love when you are able to let us women know when we f*ck up without tearing us down. And thank you for acknowledging your unhealthy contributions to what seems to be a common issue. Feel free to visit my blog anytime.

    Claudia Jean

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post as usual. It's funny I just got an email today from an ex and I deleted it. It's been years since we've been in contact. He's a cheater and I just can't go down that route again. I'm leaving him in the past where he belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Preach Preach Preach Preach

    My Ex's are ALWAYS sniffing around. Esp NOW that I'm with someone who actually WANTS TO BE WITH ME!!! Geeeezzzz. I just want to tell the EX, "This was and still could be YOURS, but NOOOO you wanna go sew oats and be big man on campus".

    I will say that there is some satisfaction in knowing that someone out there still wants to be with you even if you are with the one that loves you (and you love them). Nobody wants to NOT be wanted.

    Alas, I'll keep my storage fees in my pocket and take up space with the person who wants to be occupied. Holla

    ReplyDelete
  29. How did you have the courage to write this? I can't believe how honest you were. You have more strength than that nigga knows about. Fuck him and happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Don't hate him. Love him, even if it's from afar. Then pray for him and brothers like me who don't know what they've got till it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I rarely come across women who can express themselves like this. Believe it or not, some of us do appreciate a woman who lets us know how she feels without trying to curse us out or get overly emotional. You were very clear in your message and although it doesn't seem like you got the outcome you most likely wanted, someone else will pick up on your vibe and give you the love and attention you deserve.

    P.S. He does have a clue, he just doesn't care and is probably relieved that you figured it out for yourself. We are asses like that. Sorry.

    Donovan Charles

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are so right about not existing to the other person when you two aren't dating. Makes it hard for you to be friends or to not be bitter. It makes it easy for you to hate them when they forget all about you. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That nigga has a clue! He just doesn't give a fuck which is what happens when they decide they not into you anymore. Well written and you hit every point possible. Your courage is inspirational. Thanks for letting some of us know that we're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  34. so real and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh damn. This was good.

    ReplyDelete