Monday, March 19, 2012

A Letter To My Video Girl...


Dear Video Vixen, Video Girl, Extra...Model:

You want what? Huh? Advice about doing Music Videos for free?!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

...that was me screaming.

Now let me tell you what I learned, think, and know about doing Music Videos for free.

*Deep breath*

Some Indie or newer artists don't really have high budgets. I get that. And some veterans who've been not-so-popular lately may not have grand budgets either. We empathize.

However...

If the artist(s) is "big time", award nominated, platinum selling, on covers of various publications and is a Brand that makes their label money…they have a budget God Dammit!

Money goes to the Production company, (sometimes it's the Director's Production company) and the producer decides on how they allocate funds.

Now the Bullsh*t comes in when the money for Casting is low or damn near nonexistent...which again is Bullsh*t.

Let me explain why...

They need Models but won't pay. But if they have NO Models and the Treatment AND Artist(s) want Models, what will they shoot? Puppets?

Now here's the Okie doke: There's money for Casting but they don't want to spend it on you. That basically means…they don't respect your time or value your worth.

Or...

Someone pockets the money...

Or...

Several people pocket the money...whether it's the Director him/herself or the "Casting" person(s).

Or...

They just don't want to pay because they know they can get girls for free...especially if it's a big name celebrity.

You know how many Directors and Producers have said to me, "Naw, we're not paying them. We can just get some Bitches to do it for free. Trust me, they'll do it." (By the way, the "Bitches" they refer to are you...and the THEY they're talking about is also YOU.)

So they offer you "exposure" and MAYBE lunch? But you still have to get there! (That’s gas.) And...bring your own wardrobe and be camera-ready. That means do your own hair and make-up, but noooooooo wardrobe will be provided for you! That's for paid Talent.

*Tears*

So you really have to think about whether this "exposure" is worth it. Sometimes it is. But with Music videos? If you're the Lead, yes.

However!

How many channels play full Music Videos nowadays? And if you don't have a good Cable package, you won't have MTV Jams, soooo...I guess we'll have to check Youtube to find you?

*Tears*

I'm just saying! You have to weigh the odds...the good vs the bad, the pros vs the cons. If you don't have anything to do anyway, sure! Roll out of bed and go be cute in a Video. But if it costs you more out of pocket to do the video for free, then don't.

Now IF you just want to do Extras work for your resume, cool! But if the video comes out and we can't locate you anywhere, then what? You can't even use it for your reel!

You did the blah blah blah video...but ummm, uhhhh, errrrr, hmmmm...they edited you out, huh? Then was doing it for free worth it? Don't get me wrong! Folks get edited it out all the time. But why risk it for free? I'd rather you get paid to take that chance.

You feel me?

So THINK 1st before just accepting any free gig. If they offer "exposure", look up the word and decide if it's worth it. Besides…if there are paid Models on the video set but you are free labor, what does that say about you?

Aren't you important? Didn't the Casting say, "Models wanted"? Aren't you a Model? Weren't you Booked as well? Were you given a Call-time? Are you there to work? Then why can't you get paid too?

If the Producer, Director, AD, DP, Craft Services, Drivers, Props, Wardrobe, Hair, MUA, Lighting, Sound, and PAs get paid, why not YOU! Aren't YOU going to be on camera? Aren't you what the Casting was for? They needed Talent, right? So if they need you, they should pay you.

Let me tell you something else...

Everything costs money and in these hard economic times...it all costs even more!

Time is money. Electricity costs money. Gas costs money. Food costs money. Baby sitters cost money. Grooming costs money...and did I say TIME is money?

So if you doing these videos for free while the others eat, pay bills, fill up their tanks and get their hair and nails done, what do you get? Exposure?!?!

Fuck outta here!

So I said all that to say...it has to really be worth it. Don't let "The Thirst" have you jumping in videos all Willy Nilly. The Pros MUST absolutely outweigh the Cons.

Pause. Think. Assess the situation then examine yours. Then decide what's best for you.

The end.

C.

24 comments:

  1. This was some great info girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shoulda read this yesterday. SMMFH

    ReplyDelete
  3. But who really wants to be in videos still? I thought that finally faded out. Video Vixens, laughable

    ReplyDelete
  4. THNAK YOU!!!! most of these new models out here just want to land gigs for attention and just doing silly stuff... if you have to audition/submit & then HIRED =work so therefore you should be getting PAID.. a very simple concept.. doing stuff for free is volunteering smh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting this here and on twitter. So many get EXPOSED while searching for EXPOSURE and I'm so glad that you informed us all here and on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I went to a ghetto ass casting this weekend in miami given by someone I thought was a reputable casting agent and they waited till we all got there to say it was no pay. But she had on fab shoes and a fab bag so somebody is getting paid. Fuck that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'M A MUSIC VIDEO DIRECTOR AND YOU'RE RIGHT. SOMETIMES WE DON'T PAY THE GIRLS BUT AS LONG AS THEY KEEP SAYING YES, WE WILL STILL BOOK THEM. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE GIRLS WILLING TO DO ANYTHING FOR FREE. ALWAYS. GOOD BLOG. I HAVE TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS BUT I'M NOT REALLY DISAGREEING WITH WHAT YOU SAY. I DON'T POCKET THE MONEY BUT I DO MAKE USE OF IT IN OTHER DEPARTMENTS. CASTING IS IMPORTANT BUT IF I CAN GET FREE GIRLS, I CAN PROBABLY AFFORD BETTER LOCATIONS, BETTER WARDROBE OR NICER HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS. THE GIRLS SACRIFICE THEMSELVES. SORRY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. You're so honest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not to shit on Casting Directors but we would give this one broad everyone knows a budget and she would pay them how she wanted to. We had money for the girls for sure but some would end up working for free and get mad at us. We would tell them the story and come to find out that bitch was keeping most of the money for herself. I don't know why people still fuck with her but me and my partner don't. Some people are greedy. And I'm remaining anonymous too like homie said. I still do videos. I'm not a director. I handle money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it was a casting this weekend for nicki minaj and it was to be a free extra. Bwahahahahahahaha! That shit cray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. semi-random: This reminds me of the argument between Kimbella & Erica on Love & Hip-Hop. Erica was so angry because Kimbella supposedly did free music video work & so on.

    I really think the modeling industry needs a union.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zero pay = Zero worth. They're using you to fill a quota. Don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been on set where they kept us separated from the non paid girls. they always looked miserable. They would talk down to them and yell at them like they were cattle. And the dark skin girls would never get paid. I couldn't be treated like that. I'd leave set if I was treated like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to love themMarch 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM

    I used to do videos so much and now I can't stand to watch them. The concepts are the same and they use the same kind of models. Videos used to be fun and paid well. But all I hear now are stories about girls doing them for free. Stop doing that! Its not like videos are whats hot in the streets anymore anyway. If they want you they should pay you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How a nickiminaj video not gonna pay? That don't even make sense! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm clapping for you! Thank you for this! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am STUNNED to find out that models do this things for FREE!!! You have only one thing in the market; your labor. You should, like all others, get paid for your labor. By NOT doing so, it devalues, not only YOUR labor value, but other models, as well. Get paid for your time. Last I checked, saying you were in such-n-such's video wont keep the lights on, or put bread on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *Standing Ovation*
    I do my best to also shed some light on this 'industry' on my blog. I enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete