Friday, January 23, 2009

My Experiences, Observations, Mishaps & What I learned in DC Jan.'09

*Friday, Jan. 16th was the coldest day in the history of cold. That was the day I got into DC.

*All the DC radio stations changed their names to the "OBAMA Station" and said things like..."on your OBAMA DIAL" or "be back in an OBAMA Minute...." and "inaugurating the new year with new music now."

*I saw an ill billboard on New York Ave for beer...it said: "InauguRALE"...get it?

*I saw more OBAMA paraphernalia than sorority and fraternity paraphernalia...ever.

*Black folks were the friendliest I've ever seen.

*DC/Marylanders still say "young" and "joe." Ahhhh...memories of my MSU days.

*Lines for most restaurants were around the corner! (And minimum wait was an hour.)

*On the way to BET HONORS on Saturday...a cop laughed when we asked if the streets were shut down for BET.

*We later found out that the streets were indeed shut down for BET HONORS....ass hole cop.

*Do you think there is something wrong if I think Stevie Wonder should go completely bald? Can his peeps shave his head? The hairline...that's all I have to say.

*Gas prices aren't as cheap in DC as everywhere else

*Obama doesn't Twitter anymore :( I think someone took over twittering for him right after the election...around the time they told him he had to give up the blackberry...even though he's keeping the blackberry.

*The Minks, Furs, and Shearling coats were out!

*President Obama could make a KILLING if he trademarked his "likeness" and name. I saw t-shirts, hats, gloves, cufflinks, motorcycle helmets, sneakers, his face on the metro tickets, hoodies, socks, scarves, nail designs, coffee cups, coffee mugs, a design on a lap top cover, bobble head dolls, basketballs, golf gloves, and Barack Obama signature meals and appetizers at select restaurants.

*Oh...and don't forget the drinks! Barack doesn't even drink...but in his honor a few restaurants capitalized...I mean memorialized him with liquor. There was the Barack-O-Bomb which is Henny, Baileys and Guinness. But I kept it simple with an "Obama Chill." Maybe I should have tried an "Obama Mama" or went over to Ben & Jerry's on M street and had some "YES PECAN" Barack Obama ice cream? Yummy!

*My camera's snap button fell off and I was unable to take photos while in the streets of DC. Me without a camera is like living in a world with no air...air...no air...air.

*I heard a chick call into WPGC FM asking for a party where the "HOOD RATS FOR OBAMA" could go. "We ain't into them ball gowns and allllllll dat."

*The ESPN ZONE in DC was the CRUNKEST ESPN Zone ever! Football and Obama...perfect combo.

*After spending several hours and watching 2 football games at ESPN ZONE...we were told our food would never come due to the Fire Marshall shutting down the kitchen. We snacked on chips and salsa and wouldn't leave...We were hungry....but wouldn't leave...had THE BEST TABLE...but wouldn't leave. Pittsburg won...we left....7 hours later.

*I would have liked to get some mac-n-cheese from B.Smiths @ Union station...she also received an award at BET Honors by the way.

*You can NOT hold your cell phone while driving in DC...even if you are NOT texting, scrolling, or don't have it on. If they see it in your hands...TICKET!

*No one was in the paying-for-a-party mood.

*No one was in a I'll-get-you-in-the-party/
event mood...It was hard enough getting in yourself, right?

*There were NOT enough JumboTrons out at the MALL.

*Kanye West does NOT need a hype man.

*Howard University area is sooooooooooo nice now! New stores, new buildings...really nice.

*Biggie Smalls is the Illest

*Obama weekend didn't stop the weed smokers!

*"Five Guys" burgers are the TRUTH!

*No matter who we were are partying for...chicks find a way to get pissy drunk and get thrown out of VIP.

*No matter how pissy drunk chicks get...they start humping and feeling on their other drunk girlfriends.

*Men do cry

*Obama weekend reminded me of Martha's Vineyard for the 4th of July, FreakNik in ATL, Superbowl, and Black MBA weekend wrapped in one.

*Folks from VA can't drive in DC.

*None of the MCDONALDS in DC sell hot chocolate....whhhhhat?

*Brooklyn is EVERYWHERE.

*Anita Baker isn't that nice of a person but she killed it at BET Honors.

*Anita Bakers stayed at my hotel...gave me a hug and stroked my hair in the dining room/lounge area. (LOL!)

*If you smile and speak softly to a bouncer/security...then crack a joke...he'll let you get away with what he originally yelled at you for ;)

*I met a girl who was naming her soon-to-come new born baby, "Barack." Last name "Samuels."

*Busta Rhymes gained a lot of weight...a lot.

*I'm starting to get tired of DJ's cutting records too short! By the time you close your eyes and put your hands in the air to that song you love....cut to the next record.

*For real...after being introduced...President George W. had a little swagger in his step while walking out at the beginning of the inauguration ceremony.

*I need Aretha Franklin to wear a better bra.

*Although most will disagree, I hated Michelle Obama's swearing-in-ceremony suit. I think she looked grandma at my graduation-ish. However, I loved her inaugural gown and I'm a big fan of wearing white...(I like how white looks against chocolate skin.) But I STILL believe that she should have gone with a black designer.

*VIBE MAGAZINE is almost as nice as I am on Twitter...almost son. Their updates and recaps were on point, though...and very entertaining.

*I miss living in DC.

*We must do better as a people. Our President is Black.

YES WE DID...Claudia Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment