Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Reunited and it Feels So Good


Social Networking Websites like Facebook amaze me more and more each day. Every time I find a new “friend”, he or she is actually an old friend who becomes a new friend all over again. But here is where I’m confused and perhaps you all can chime in to help me understand…What made us all lose touch with each other in the first place?

Most of my peeps on Facebook share the same excitement in finding old friends and are just as addicted to this thing as I am. It’s wonderful to see elementary school friends, high school classmates and college crushes all grown up with a family and kids or a great career. Sometimes I log on and find requests from folks I recognize right away because they haven’t changed a bit!

We talk about how close we were or how they thought my mom’s cooking was the bomb. We reminisce down memory lane about relationships gone badly, who was “creeping” and the “freshest” parties… (Remember “Bentleys-Live-Saturday-Night”?) Then we fast forward to today and learn about broken hearts, love finally found, kids in pre-school, and parents who are no longer with us.

Facebook brings us right back to Christmas Eve in each other’s living rooms and reunions that are well overdue. And old co-workers trip me out too because we share the same love or hate for old bosses and other co-workers who may be on Facebook as well. I even found the guy who gave me my first television gig, the person who groomed me for radio and the Shejay who saved my life.

There are also people who have totally changed and I would have never recognized if I saw them on the street! We have all grown into adulthood quite nicely and it makes me happy to see people I’ve shared so many memories with doing the grown-up thing. But the question remains the same…what made us lose touch? If we were once so close, why didn’t we stay in contact?

There are people on Facebook I’ve had at my slumber parties, went to school dances with, got on punishment for, used as an emotional pillow, hung out with so much that folks called us by each others name, vented about my sister to, snuck into clubs to hang with, worked with at a job we hated, hung out at each others houses as teens, pledged with, grew up with, dated, was a big sister to, went away for Spring Break with, sat with at my very first funeral, caused ruckus in B-more with, and were so tight in school that we recently had this very same conversation I’m blogging about now.

So how did we all go from being so close to either not communicating at all or just chit chatting once in a while to find out updates? When you talk to the folks you reunite with on Facebook do you ask yourself or them the same question? Don’t get me wrong, I realize that people grow up and grow apart. But isn’t it crazy how after falling in love with Facebook we pick up where we left off with one another?

Well I’m glad that many of us were able to re-connect. Facebook is the ish! To be honest, having these flashbacks and renewing our special bonds remind me that true friendship really never dies. I did meet new people and started a new life that some of my old friends aren’t necessarily aware of…but new friendships will never take their place or erase the many memories we’ve cherished over the years.

Welcome back!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Claudia

1 comment:

  1. FB is most definitely the ish... I like it because you can personalize everything so that diff people see diff things from your profile so unlike myspace I have no apprehensions about adding business contacts because they can only see what sectors of my page that I want them to see.

    ReplyDelete